Thursday, November 4, 2010

Where is the real Hayseed? The Elaborate Plot to Keep Him out of my Hands

I don't believe that Diana Murphy, from day one, ever intended for me to have Hayseed, the flashy Appaloosa gelding that was bailed from Camelot Auction in Cranbury, NJ, on Saturday, May first, Kentucky Derby Day (Super Saver won that race with Calvin Borel aboard). I do believe that she saw dollar signs the moment i told her about his amazingly uncanny resemblance to my cartoon character of the same name, whom I've been drawing for nearly 30 years now and who is the star of my book, "Hayseed's First Race" which was published by Caballo Press of Ann Arbor.

Just after he was rescued from the #10 kill pen, I got an email out of the clear blue from Sharon Stone, who I didn't know from Adam at the time, asking me if he had a place to go. The message was sent to me via the Alex Brown racing forums; the message is posted below, verbatim:


The following message was sent to you by 63MAGNUM while viewing
your Member Profile:

Hayseed might still need a home, would you like me to inquire. Diana Murphy
bailed him out. Not sure if he had a home but she knew she couldn't let him go
to another auction or worse.
Sharon Stone
I wrote back to her and told her I was looking for a quarantine facility where he could also undergo training to be 'bomb-proofed' in preparation for his appearances at book signing events as the mascot for my book, so that he would be safe around children and adults alike. I got an email from her telling me she had just the perfect person in mind for the training project, Angie Lepowsky, who she said was her best friend and patient and firm with horses. To quote, she said, "Any horse would be lucky to end up with her."


Hi Sally,
Just read that really great blog from you and The Second Race. I have the perfect person to train Hayseed for his upcoming book tours!
I don’t know who to talk to about it but I thought I would let you know and also contact Diana Murphy.
My best friend lives in Chillicothe Ohio, her name is Angie Lepowsky. She is a horse trainer, a horse lover for her whole life. In March she rescued a TB gelding from going to slaughter only to find out he has a condition called EPM. She has been trying to raise funds to pay for the treatment which costs $800. We are still working at that. Made a thread on ABR and Moe has his own Facebook page for fundraising. She is like most of us horse poor but when she got the call about Moe she couldn’t let him go. Anyway I am gabbering. A horse would be very lucky to end up with her, she is patient and kind yet firm. She has great references and works out of a stable that has sufficient amenities for training. She trains for the stable owner in exchange for one free stall that she can use for a client horse to make money on so she has some income. She is also a certified appraiser. Anyway I am not sure who is in charge of hiring the person to train Hayseed but I would love to nominate Angie. Let me know who she would need to contact regarding this and I will let her know what she needs to do. I talked to her about it and she is really excited with the prospect, I sent her the story about Hayseed. She says he is a “hottie”. LOL
Anyway, take care and look forward to hearing from you
Sharon Stone
She also commented on a link by Sharla Sanders, The Second Race's founder/director (a Southern California horse rescue that specializes in placing off-track Thoroughbred racehorses near Santa Anita Park):


Sharon Stone commented on Sharla Sanders's link:

"How exciting. I also sent you, Sally, Sharla and Diana a suggestion for the
stable Angie works from, they have a FB page also, really pretty place. Its in
Heath, Ohio. Not sure how far away that is. I don't think I will be able to
sleep! I hope Angie will get to be Hayseeds new teacher, I feel like a kid!
Thanks Sally."
She really did a snow job on me, twisting my arm to get me to agree to Angie Lepowsky's taking him under her wing. I agreed to it, even though I had a somewhat unsettling feeling about the whole thing, and as it turned out, for good reason. In another message she said:

Hi Sally,
Talked to Angie really quick this morning, if we were close enough we would be doing the silly dork girlfriend dance! Hayseed is on his way to her. Did you get the video of the place he will be residing for awhile for training. I don’t know where you all are planning on keeping him after training but that sure is a beautiful facility.
Keep in touch
Love
SHARON
This comment Diana Murphy posted on Angie Lepowsky's photo album of him is very telling:

Diana Murphy commented on Angie Lepowsky's photo album:

"Angie, Thank you for offering your training services to get Hayseed ready for
his new career as an Ambassador for Sally Schrock book "Hayseeds First Race"
he is going from rags to riches"

Then later, after Diana Murphy broke off the adoption agreement with me on June 3, claiming I was not a suitable home for Hayseed, one of my friends had a Facebook conversation with her about my horse. She innocently asked Diana what her plans were for him, and this is what Diana said:

Diana Murphy
Clear Chat History

8:28pmMe--Diana? Whats up with Hayseed and how is he doing?

8:29pm Diana--Hayseed is now Flash and he is doing great he is coming to the rescue as a therapy horse

8:31pm Me--well thats way cool! So he won't be a mascot for the Hayseed book ?

8:35pm Diana--if he does it will be our horse and he the mascott

8:38pm Me--that would be awesome.He resembles the hayseed character so well

8:38pm Diana--yes he does

8:38pm Me--ok,just wanted to see what he was up to.You got a beautiful horse there girl!

8:39pm Diana--thank you God Bless :):)

8:40pm Me--Godspeed and best wishes with your Therapy group.

8:40pm Diana--thank you♥♥

I believe Diana conspired with Sharon Stone and Angie Lepowsky to keep him out of my hands. Not only is Sharon Stone an associate of Diana's, Angie is also friends with her. Ever since then, Diana, Christy Sheidy, Lisa Drahorad, Sherry Osborn and others have taunted me about his whereabouts, saying they know where he is, but that they'll never tell and that I'll never have him.

So where is he? I know Diana lied about having a therapy group; such outfits have to be certified by the state and she simply does not have the facilities or even the time to run an equine therapy group. What's more, Angie herself told me that being a very green horse under saddle, he bucked-- clearly not a suitable mount for handicapped children or teens who lack the strength and agility to control such an animal.
















3 comments:

Sharon Stone said...

Really reaching now aren't you. Such a vivid imagination. Now you want to drag Angie into this? Whatever. Your true calling should be writing for soap operas.

Unknown said...

I know this may be a long shot but would you know where this horse is now? Also, do you know any of the horses that were at the auction with him? The reason that I am asking is because I know this horse and worked with him. I also know that he went through his original auction with 2 other horses one of which went to Pennsylvania with him. Being ignorant at the time I was not aware of where they were actually headed as I just assumed they went to a good home. If you have any information I would really appreciate it. I just want to make sure that he is ok. Thanks!

ByteG8S said...

Margaret, you worked with Hayseed? Was this at Magic Meadow Stable? Please email me privately at Sarahstryker@aol.com and I will tell you where I know he is. Thanks! Sorry for not having responded sooner! Sally